Mission and Goals
It is the mission of the BVMA/VHA to promote living history and support regional historic sites and historical societies in the Schoharie, Mohawk, and Upper Hudson Valleys, focusing on the Colonial and Federalist periods (1740-1820)
Special efforts will be made to work closely with local historical venues in developing and executing programs that:
* Use original sites when available;
* Recreate regional events as accurately as possible, taking special care to include the recreated units of
those who participated in the actual event when possible
* To commemorate these events in honor of those who originally served;
* Promote pride in the heritage of the region;
* Increase public awareness of local history; and
* Promote tourism throughout the Schoharie, Mohawk, and Upper Hudson valleys.
In the furtherance of our Mission, the BVMA/VHA will work toward achieving the following goals:
…To form an organization of historic sites, reenactment groups, artisan, and craftsmen, and civilian interpreters to support member units, historic sites and their events, and to provide a central information base, not only for events, but also for research, material, equipment, etc.;
…to negotiate for the commemoration of at least one historic Revolutionary war era event annually in the Schoharie, Mohawk, or Upper Hudson Valleys. Every effort will be made to recreate the action as historically accurate as possible, and to make every possible effort to use the original site;
…To select two or three events at member sites that all member units will make efforts to attend in force;
…To adhere to the BVMA safety guidelines in the execution of all events; and
…To encourage cooperation and minimize conflict with events and other organizations.